|Mentored Research Award
This one-year research fellowship award will be provided to support the second or third year of research being conducted by a resident or fellow in the research program of an SSAT member. Applications from individuals who have spent at least six months working as a full time research fellow will be judged based on quality of the research proposal, applicant, research environment, and preliminary accomplishments in the period to date in the lab. Up to two awards will be provided annually in the amount of ,000 each to help defray support costs, such as salary, direct expense, etc. Research programs in clinical and translational research, outcome and health services research, and basic science investigation are eligible for consideration.
- The supported research program can be focused on clinical and translational research, outcome and health services research, or basic science investigation.
- This award is restricted to surgeons who have spent at least six months working as a full time research fellow in the research program of an SSAT member.
- The award will provide support to a resident or fellow for the second or third year of research being conducted in the research program of an SSAT member.
- Application must include preliminary data from first six months of research as well as a research plan for the upcoming year.
- The one-year SSAT award of $25,000 is to be used to help defray support costs, such as salary, direct expense, etc. The award is not to diminish or replace the customary, expected compensation or benefits; nor is any portion of the award to be used for institutional indirect costs.
- The recipient will present a progress report at the SSAT Annual Meeting immediately following the period of award.
- It is asked that the recipient consider submitting any abstracts deriving from his/her Mentored Research Award to the SSAT Annual Meeting for presentation consideration, as well as any manuscripts to the Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, the official journal of the SSAT, for publication consideration.
- It is expected that, if the resident or fellow awardee is not a member of the SSAT, s/he will apply prior to the conclusion of the award period.
Applications will include:
- A completed online application form.
- The applicant's curriculum vitae.
- SSAT Mentorís curriculum vitae.
- Research program summary (abstract).
- 2-3 page summary of preliminary data and specific aims and methodology for year 2 or 3 of the research program
- Appropriate institutional (IRB and/or animal studies) approvals.
- A supporting letter from applicantís SSAT research mentor.
- Detailed list of current funding sources.
March: 10, 2018
Applications for the 2017 Mentored Research Award will be reviewed by the Research Committee of the SSAT. The successful applicant(s) and the SSAT sponsor(s) will be notified of the decision by mid April 2017, and the winner will be introduced at a specified time at the SSAT Annual Meeting during Digestive Disease Week, May 6-9, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois.
Please note that this is an online process, and only online applications will be considered.