|SSAT & IASG Fellowship
The purpose of this fellowship is to encourage international exchange of surgical scientific information for IASG-Members. The SSAT-IASG Traveling Fellow will visit one or two institutions in the United States or Canada hosted by an SSAT member during a two-week period, and attend the SSAT Annual Meeting at Digestive Disease Week. A stipend of 5000 USD will be provided to the Traveling Fellow, to defray reasonable costs for travel, lodging, meals, and registration fees for Digestive Disease Week.
The Traveling Fellowship is available to a Member of the Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology (IASG) who specializes in surgery of the Alimentary Tract and who meets the following requirements:
- Has a strong interest in clinical or basic science related to surgery of the alimentary tract
- Is under 45 years of age on the date the application
- Is enthusiastic and possesses good communication skills
- Submit application, CV, and corresponding materials to the IASG
- Submit a membership application to the SSAT by November 15, 2017
The Travelling Fellow is required to spend a two-week period visiting one or two SSAT Member institutions in the United States or Canada. Fellow is expected:
- To attend the Digestive Disease Week meeting which will be held in Washington, DC, USA, June 2-5, 2018.
- To make arrangements to select the Host Institution(s), IASG may provide assistance if required
- To observe surgery in the operating room under host supervision
- To accompany the host SSAT faculty member on patient rounds and in clinic activities
- To attend and participate in teaching conferences at the host institutions
- At the conclusion of the Traveling Fellowship, the Traveler MUST submit a written report to the SSAT which will include a description of the experience, observations, and highlights. The recipient will also provide a written report one year from the conclusion of the Fellowship on how the experience has affected his/her practice.
The itinerary and Host Institution(s) would be finalized in consultation and mutual agreement between the Fellow and designated representatives of IASG and the SSAT International Relations Committee. The surgical centers to be visited would depend on the special interests of the Fellow and his or her previously established professional contacts with surgeons in the USA or Canada.
- The successful recipients will receive a stipend of 5000 USD to support costs for travel, lodging, meals, and registration fees for Digestive Disease Week.
- Funds will be used to travel to Digestive Disease Week plus visit one or two Institutions, where the SSAT member host will provide necessary organizational information.
- Additional support for family members will not be provided.
Traveling Fellows must submit a complete itinerary to receive funds prior to travel. Following completion of the fellowship, the Traveling Fellow must provide a summary of expenses including original receipts.
Fellowship Application Process
To be eligible for consideration, the following materials must be submitted to the IASG Administrative Offices:
- Applicant must be an IASG Member
- Complete application for SSAT membership by November 15, 2017
- Copy of his/her curriculum vitae.
- Letter from Applicant indicating what he/she would like to learn and how he/she will apply it at his/her own hospital.
- One page completed application that indicates the type of surgery in which the Traveling Fellow is interested, and the name(s) of the Host institution(s) (or if she/he requires assistance in choosing institutions to visit).
By February 1st, the Traveler Fellow should submit his/her complete itinerary and a letter from the host SSAT member.
Timetable for application process and notice of SSAT-IASG Traveling Fellowship Awards
||Completed application submitted to IASG
||If not already an SSAT Member, Fellowship Applicant must submit online membership application to the SSAT
||Applications reviewed by the SSAT International Relations Committee and recipients are notified
||Recipients accept or decline Fellowship by this date
||Itinerary for travel submitted to the SSAT Administrative office
||Recipients attend DDW 2018
|Before or after DDW
||Recipients visit 1 or 2 other institutions
|Within 2 months
||Recipients submit a report of trip