Benefit highlights include:
- A Subscription to the Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery (a value of over 400 USD, the Journal is included with Active, Candidate, and Medical Student memberships)
- Deeply discounted Early Bird Registration to Digestive Disease Week, at which the SSAT Annual Meeting is held. Early Bird fees are 170 USD (and complimentary for Candidate and Medical Student members), compared to 510 USD for nonmembers
- Discounted Registration to the SSAT Hands-On Courses (held in conjunction with DDW)
- Access to the SSAT's Annual Career Development Awards, Research Awards, Scholarships and Traveling Fellowships
- Discounted registration to the SSAT Winter GI Course
Individuals may apply for membership in the SSAT, based on the following guidelines. Completed application must include an uploaded, current CV, including bibliography, and an electronic recommendation from an Active or Senior member of the SSAT. All membership candidates must have an interest in the surgical aspects of digestive diseases.
Membership shall not be denied because of race, creed, color, or sex.
155 USD annually (+75 USD one-time initiation fee)
- Have a degree from a medical school acceptable to the Board of Trustees;
- Have a license to practice medicine in his/her state, province or country;
- Be certified by a board that is a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or by an equivalent body; and
- Have an interest in the surgical aspects of digestive diseases
- Be a career scientist with an M.D, Ph.D. or equivalent degree from an institution acceptable to the Board of Trustees; and
- have an interest in the surgical aspects of digestive diseases.
20 USD annually
Applicant must not be certified by a board that is a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or by an equivalent body, and:
- Be a Resident in a surgical training program that is approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, Royal College of Canada, or equivalent body
- Be a post-residency trainee in a GI Fellowship. A post-residency trainee in a GI Fellowship must provide a letter of support from the Program Director.
20 USD one-time initiation fee (no annual dues for the tenure of medical school education)
- Be in good standing at an LCME accredited institution or equivalent body.
SSAT Membership Approval Cycle
The SSAT Membership Committee reviews applications roughly every 3-4 weeks from January to mid-April, leading up to the Annual Meeting held in conjunction with DDW. The Committee then reviews applications approximately once every 4-6 weeks from September through December.
About two weeks after an application has been approved by the Membership Committee, the successful candidate will receive notification from the SSAT regarding his/her election.
- In order for a membership candidate to be able to register for DDW as an SSAT member at the Early Bird rate, his/her application must be complete (including receipt of the sponsor's recommendation) by February 22nd, followed by a favorable review and approval by the Membership Committee.
- In order for a membership candidate to be able to register for DDW as an SSAT member at the standard reduced rate for DDW society members, his/her application must be complete (including receipt of the sponsor's recommendation) by March 22nd, followed by a favorable review and approval by the Membership Committee.